Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pumpkin Candles, mice, and hiding odors

A few years ago we moved out into the country. We have several fields around us. Once fall hit we started to notice evidence that we had some mice so we put out some poison to take care of the problem. One day I started to notice a smell coming from somewhere in the kitchen. Hot Hubby wasn't home so I lit a candle. (This was one of the Yanke Pumpkin Spice candles that smell perfect for the fall.) When Hubby got home we couldn't locate were the smell was coming from and I lit the candle the next again because the smell was much worse. This happened for several days until we finally found a dead mouse under the refrigerator.

A few weeks later I lit my favorite candle again to give the house a fall smell. Later that day I smelled another mouse. (I was starting to think that live mice in the house might be a little better then that dead mouse smell.) Same thing happened over and over for several weeks. A few months later I pulled out my pumpkin candle and suddenly I smelled another dead mouse.

LIGHTBULB MOMENT!
It's the candle!



I had used that candle to cover up the smell of the mouse for so many days in a row that I associate that smell with a dead mouse. Now I'm sure it's still a wonderful candle, but I cannot burn it in my house!



The Moral of the story is: Candles are great for covering up all smells except dead mice!

No comments: